Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Next Breath

Well, the hard part is over. The eighth anniversary of my mother's passing is over. And, surprisingly, it went smoothly. I was with my father, his wife and my significant other, who could not have been a stronger rock for my roller coaster emotions. 

And then I thought, well, ok, so it's over, so what's next for all my writing? It started as a cathartic thing for all my feelings and emotions as her anniversary approached. And it worked. It brought a lot of clarity to me and my feelings. Then, I thought about my original goal when I started writing again. Last year. Yeah, a while ago. My original goal at that time was to do a crapload of writing to put together in a book and maybe even publish. The thought was to record my journey of healing, mainly healing from my mother's death. But, then, last night, I thought - there's so much to write about. The healing from my mother's death. The journey of my discovery of my mother in me. The lessons learned from my mother. Basically the good, the bad, the ugly. And, possibly even something that my children may read to learn about their grandmother and how their own mother was raised.  The journey of healing and learning will be lifelong one in which I am excited to record. So, join me if you will.

With brutal honesty about one of the most unsettling relationships I will ever have, perhaps it will bring me peace. Perhaps it will bring you peace or realizations that you thought not possible.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just found your journal. My mother died in 1995, it has been so long, I still miss her so much, I would love to call her and talk to her.......I think the pain never goes away, it just becomes less. My father died in 2004 and after that I felt like an orphan, and then I read a book about Adult Orphans and I found out that I wasn't alone....a lot of people who have lost both parents have the same feelings.

Claudia

Anonymous said...

hi; I found your journal last night; I too am a motherless daughter; my mom died in December of 2006 at the age of 85; while it was not unexpected, it totally threw me for a loop and I reacted so much more differently than I thought I would; the healing is coming and the grief less but I do miss her so. looking forward to joining you as you continue writing

hugs to you (and Happy Thanksgiving)

betty

Anonymous said...

I'll be back to read.. Happy Thanksgiving

Anonymous said...

I am totally on board. Life journeys are not only about discovering your own path, but about meeting others travelling along the same route, or in different directions... it's all about sharing, love and diversity :-)