Monday, December 8, 2008

I'd like the usual, please.

The times I feel the loss of my mother tends to be around the holidays. Since my mother's passing, my brother, father and me couldn't be more geographically challenged if we tried. And, with the past few years, I've truly learned who are true friends. 

When I was a kid growing up, the Christmas tradition became easy to remember - we went to Taiwan each year, with the rest of my mother's brothers and sisters and my cousins to see my Grandmother. There was no doubt about any of that. As we got older, maybe not all the cousins would go to Taiwan, but for many years, that's all I knew for Christmas. And what an ordeal that would be. The shopping for people we would see while in Taiwan started early. My mother, who was great at selecting just the right gift for someone, took forever when we would go shopping. When all the shopping was completed, my mother and I would lay everything out, going over who was getting what and what gifts were extras. Then, the task became arranging all the gifts in a suitcase so they would stay in their respective grouping. That was what Christmas was almost every year I can remember up until the end of my college years. When the trips to Taiwan ended . . . I don't think I spent another Christmas with my mother. 

There was a period of time where my mother and I didn't speak. I mean it, we really didn't speak. At all. After a couple of years and many interventions, we were able to come to a point where I could tolerate her presence. And I think she may have felt the same way. And though she was sick, I was looking forward to spending some time with her around the holidays. I had missed the usual family gatherings during the time when my mother and I didn't talk. However, in 2000, spending time with my mother around the holidays was not meant to be. I didn't even get a little bit of Thanksgiving with my mother. 

For a few years, I had my own holiday traditions, but that soon came to an end when I came back to Pennsylvania and decided to stay. And now, I find that I feel a little at sea with the whole celebrating the holidays thing. Now, don't get me wrong - I love Christmas and everything that goes along with it. Well, almost everything. I could do with out the egg nog. I love Christmas carols and the Christmas shows. But, I do miss the Christmas traditions. The things that were constants for me at Christmas - shopping with my mother, decorating with my mother, travelling to Taiwan with my mother . . . All these things that I did with my mother.

I know that the past is the past and there is no way for me to go back. And I know there is no way for me to make my present or future exactly the way as my past was. But, there are just those times when I feel so disorganized or disconnected from the holidays because I find that I am missing my mother and want to do all the things that I once did. The flip side is that I can remake Christmas and start my own traditions. And then I only hope that the holidays will become less disconnected feeling and more family feeling. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can understand this; but I think it is good to get your own traditions too; if you marry and have a family, you will start your own traditions that way. My mom died 12 days before Christmas 2 years ago; I couldn't celebrate Christmas that year; I did last year but Christmas will always carry that sadness now since it is also associated with her passing

betty

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment. After writing that post, I wondered whether it made any sense.

The first set of holidays that occurred after my mother passed, I opted out of as well. Now, I'd like to find another way to approach Thanksgiving other than my mother passed two days prior. And I look forward to starting holiday traditions.