Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Confusion Ensues

It's no secret that November 22 will mark yet another year since my mother passed away. And each year, I am met with such unpredictability as to how my mood will swing in addition to how it will affect those in my family.

This year, I am a little more melancholy and missing my mother even more than before. However, I can see why given that I'm preparing for my wedding in June, my brother and his wife are expecting a baby girl in January . . . a lot of family things going on, things that my mother should be witnessing but isn't.

What leaves me at a loss for words and feeling even more confused and melancholy is the way my father reacted when my other half and I invited him to stay for Thanksgiving. He says that he'd rather stay where he is and not travel. He argues that he doesn't like having to clear a potential visit with us before making arrangements (clearly not thinking about the fact that both my other half and I work and have other things going on that a visit from anyone would require discussion in advance). He takes statements I've made and either blows them out of proportion or twists them around to sound like something he can be upset about. Then he proceeds to manipulate me by saying whatever he chooses to say to elicit guilt and unrest on my end. And as much as I say it doesn't bother me, I won't let him get to me . . . it does bother me, he does get to me. My brother says cut our father some slack . . . he's old and doesn't think straight or clearly at times. I agree with his statement, however I know just how much my father crosses the line and disrespects my boundaries. Basically, he acts as though it is completely inappropriate for me to have any boundaries. At. All. What leaves me more melancholy is the fact that my father will not put his own discomfort or imagined grudge aside for Thanksgiving. In the years following my mother's death, my father and I have always been together on Thanksgiving. I feel abandoned, cast aside.

Just when I feel like the three of us are moving ahead, it's as though we move farther apart. It's as though we no longer know how to function as a family without my mother. It's just anger and many unspoken words.

2 comments:

Technodoll said...

(( hugs ))

So sad that your one living parent has to be this way... Sigh. Unfortunately we cannot make people be as we want them to be, we can only accept how they are and either learn to live with it or let it go...

Your in-laws sound wonderful though - they are, yes? So that is balance, in a way...

Live now, let Nov 22nd come and go. Your mom would have wanted you happy and smiling :)

Kathryn said...

TD -

It is true. My in-laws are wonderful and having them does provide much balance. My mother's side of the family also provides much love and comfort to me as well.

Unfortunate, though, that things have to be this way with my father. I don't understand. But, apparently this is nothing new with my father when it comes to others.

I just didn't think that he could be so cold towards his own daughter.

Ah well.